St Luke’s Church was built in 1780 and was in continuous use until it was destroyed during a fire in 1987. It was proposed to renovate the Church and convert it into offices over three floors. As the church contained a delicate crypt below ground level and its original roof had been destroyed in a fire, it was decided to suspend the two additional stories from a new roof structure.
- Engineering Works
- IAA Awards
These new trusses were designed to be supported from the existing Church walls and they were designed to be able to suspend two additional floors of offices from them. This solution was proven to be an extremely efficient proposal structurally, allowing huge flexibility with the design and minimum intrusion to the existing fabric of the building.